Fresh Tomato Basil Soup
This fresh tomato basil soup is delicious, and loaded with flavorful ingredients like fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, onions and carrots. It’s sure to keep you warm on a cold New England (or wherever you live!) day.
A few days ago marked the coldest day of the year so far. We thought the best way to spend this freezing cold day was to stay in, stream some classic Disney movies and make fresh tomato soup and grilled cheese. I really love this meal and honestly do not make it enough. The best part about spending an afternoon making soup is that I’ll have leftovers enough to have the soup again for lunch the next day.
The secret to my fresh tomato basil soup is the addition of cumin and paprika. Just a teaspoon of each of these two spices give the soup a warm, earthy, yet peppery flavor that the whole family is sure to love. Serve alongside a slice of whole wheat sourdough bread or a grilled cheese sandwich for a perfect, comforting meal.
Tools I Use to make Fresh Tomato Basil Soup
- Ninja Food Chopper Express Chop I’ve had this little Ninja food chopper for close to 4 years now, and use it almost every day. Weather you want to chop, mince or puree, it does it all. Additionally, It’s super inexpensive and small enough to hide in a cabinet. I use it to make almost every recipe on my blog including my Lower Calorie Mashed Potatoes. I can’t recommend it enough!
- Indoor Herb Garden I LOVE, LOVE LOVE, fresh basil. Now, instead of constantly buying the fresh basil plants they have for sale at the grocery store I can grow my own. It’s readily available for me to use within arms reach while cooking all of my favorite dishes.
Fresh Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 pounds tomatoes on the vine pureed
- 1.5 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup basil chopped and packed
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- add olive oil to a large pot along with carrots and onions and carrots and cook until both are tender
- add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant
- next, add the tomato puree and stir together
- add the sugar, basil, vegetable stock, salt, cumin and paprika
- stir ingredients together and bring to a boil
- once boiling, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 45-55 minutes
- Next, pour all of the soup through a strainer, then return back to the pot to keep heated
- garnish with fresh basil and parmesan cheese
1 thought on “Fresh Tomato Basil Soup”