Fresh Tomato Basil Soup
So a few days ago marked the coldest day of the year so far. We thought the best way to spend this freezing cold day was to stay in, stream some classic Disney movies and make fresh tomato basil soup and grilled cheese.
This fresh tomato basil soup is delicious, and loaded with flavorful ingredients like fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, onions and carrots. It’s sure to keep you warm on a cold New England (or wherever you live!) day.
The secret to my fresh tomato basil soup is the addition of cumin and paprika. Just a teaspoon of each of these two spices give the soup a warm, earthy, yet peppery flavor that the whole family is sure to love.
Serve alongside a slice of whole wheat sourdough bread or a grilled cheese sandwich for a perfect, comforting meal.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 pounds on the vine tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup packed chopped basil
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Parmesean cheese
- In the bottom of a large pot, heat the carrots and onions until tender.
- Next, add garlic to the pot, followed by the tomatoes, sugar, basil, vegetable stock, salt, cumin and paprika
- Bring the soup to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer, uncovered for approximately 45 minutes
- Pour the soup through a strainer then add the liquid back into the pot along with the heavy cream and cool until heated to a desirable temperature
- Garnish with basil and a little fresh grated parmesean cheese and serve