This homemade turkey and bean chilli recipe is easy, healthy, low calorie, delicious, comforting, I can go on and on.
If I dont feel like cooking on some lazy Sunday, but I still want to eat something delicious and homemade, I make chilli. Sure, I have to prepare and cook it, but it doesnt take that long and since chilli needs a few hours to cook you can start it in the morning and relax for the rest of the day.
That’s the idea anyway. I have a two year old, so the definition of “relax” escapes me lately, but having dinner waiting for me at the end of the day gives me an extra segment of time to do, well, anything else. And, if you make enough of it (I usually use 3 pounds of ground turkey) you can have it the next day or freeze it for dinner another night.
With the high cost of groceries, I’m all for any meal that I can reheat the next day and kill two meals with one, well..
meal. The chilli is also great in tacos. I like to use it in these ground turkey chilli and avocado tacos.
- 3 lbs ground turkey
- 8 tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 sweet peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large pot on medium high heat, add 2 tbsp of olive oil along with onions and ground turkey. Break up ground Turkey and cook until turkey is browned all the way through.
- Next, add diced tomatoes, garlic, peppers, beans and seasonings, stir until well combined
- Cover the chilli and let cook on medium low for at least 45 minutes but ideally 2 to 3 hours
- If chilli is too thin, uncover and let simmer until you see chilli thicken